Proper Care of your Braces is crucial for successful Orthodontic Treatment
Are you currently wearing braces or thinking of getting braces? Here are the some important tips that you need to remember to keep your braces clean and your teeth and gums healthy.
1. Keeping your teeth clean is always important but it’s even more important when you have braces! Food bits have more spots to hide in your mouth, so you must be diligent in order to avoid bad breath, swollen gums, discolored teeth and cavities.
2. It’s highly recommended that you invest in an electric toothbrush when going through orthodontic treatment. Proper flossing techniques is also very important make sure your orthodontist teaches you how to use floss threaders. It’s highly recommended to brush after every meal, but we know sometimes this isn’t always possible. If you are eating out somewhere and you can’t brush, thoroughly rinse your mouth with water.
3. When you brush, brush one tooth at a time and pay careful attention to areas where you have brackets. Make sure to get around all angles of the tooth and braces.
4. Don’t forget the chewing surface and be sure to clean along your gum line, this is a key spot for plaque to build up.
5. Removing plaque regularly during treatment is important. Talk to your Hygienist about adding additional cleanings through treatment in addition to your home care.
6. Use mouthwash this helps keep you mouth and gums clean and reduces plaque. Mouthwash use helps because the liquid can pass through the very small spaces in your teeth, over and under your braces.
7. Proper follow up with your orthodontist is key to successful treatment.
If you need help finding the right orthodontist for you, feel free to contact our office – we’d love to help!